simconnect config tool problem

Mar 1, 2009 at 9:49 PM
Help! I have installed the simconnect config tool several times, but somehow I deleted it. I have downloaded an installed the tool once more. It appears in the Program Files folder. However, when I run the program, it says there is another instance of the tool in my fsx directory and it is corrupted and cannot be deleted. Run aborted. I have used Search to find the corrupted file but get no results. It is not in my fsx directory. Is there a solution to this or perhaps another way to install fsxget without using the simconnect config tool?
Coordinator
Mar 6, 2009 at 10:00 PM
Hi! Sorry to hear that the tool isn't working for you. I can try and help you figure out where the problem lies but I need to know the EXACT error message. Please do me a favor and try to run the tool again. Once the error occurs, please post the exact error message (word by word) here. Once you've done that, I'll have a look into this. Sorry for the inconvenience, but there are about five very similar error messages the tool may show at startup and I need to know which one it is to tell you how to fix the problem.
Mar 9, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Clicked on cfgtool.exe.
Error message:
"There is already a Sim Connect file in your FSX directory but the file is invalid and cannot be deleted. Aborting!"

The SimConnect zip file contains 2 files: Setup.exe and SimConnectConfigTool.msi.

The unzipped file contains 3 items: app.ico, cfgtool.exe, SimConnect.sample.

I can only find 1 file in the FSX folder that might be related to this problem:  In the Uires subfolder: SimConnectMenuBB.xzp

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2009 at 8:03 AM
Sorry, my bad. I probably should have made the error message a bit more accurate. By saying "FSX directory" the message actually refers to your FSX APPLICATION DATA directory which should be located at "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" (path for Windows Vista, XP should be similar). Just go there and delete the "SimConnect.xml" file there. After you've done that, the tool should run fine again.